With winter right around the corner, many people are looking for ways to stay warm. One popular solution is using a space heater in your home. While space heaters can be a great way to stay warm, they also come with some dangers. While newer models have built-in safety features, they can still pose a severe risk if not used properly. Here’s what you need to know about the dangers of space heaters in your home.

1. They Are a Fire Hazard

Most space heater-related fires occur when the heater is left unattended or placed too close to flammable materials like curtains, towels, clothing, bedding, or furniture. That’s why it’s so important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully and always keep an eye on your space heater when it’s in use. If you’re going to leave the room for even a short period, be sure to turn off the space heater and unplug it from the outlet. Some newer models come with automatic shut-off features that kick in if the heater tips over, but it’s still a good idea to err on caution.

2. Carbon-Monoxide Poisoning

Another potential hazard of space heaters is carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. CO is a colorless, odorless gas that can be deadly if emitted in high concentrations. Some space heaters use combustion to generate heat, producing CO as a byproduct. If your space heater is not adequately vented or placed too close to flammable materials, CO can build up quickly and potentially cause serious health problems or even death. That’s why choosing a CO-safe space heater is crucial. Additionally, installing CO detectors in your home and checking them regularly to ensure they’re working correctly is a good idea.

Conclusion

It’s critical to exercise caution when using space heaters. If you have any questions about space heater safety or need help with electrical services, get in touch with Mebane Electrical Services today. Our team of experienced electricians will be happy to assist you. We also offer expert electrical services, including generators, lighting, traditional home electrical, and emergency electrical services in Mebane, NC, and the surrounding areas. Contact Mebane Electrical Services today for exceptional and professional electrical solutions.

Daniel Porterfield

Owner

company icon